Lower Barrakka Gardens is one of the most popular attractions in Malta, offering stunning views of the Valletta Grand Harbour, as well as a variety of historical monuments and lush gardens. Located in the Valletta district, the gardens are a peaceful oasis surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city. From the iconic bastions to the tranquil pathways, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Lower Barrakka Gardens.
History of Lower Barrakka Gardens
Lower Barrakka Gardens is located on the site of the former gardens of the Order of St John, a religious order that ruled Malta for centuries. The gardens were built in the 16th century and were used as a recreational area for the knights. The gardens were opened to the public in the 19th century and feature a number of historic monuments, including a statue of Grand Master de Valette, a marble obelisk, and a replica of the Lascaris Battery.
Things to Do in Lower Barrakka Gardens
Lower Barrakka Gardens is a great place to spend a few hours exploring. Visitors can wander through the gardens, taking in the views of the harbour and admiring the historic monuments. The gardens are also home to a number of native plants and wildlife, making it a great spot for nature lovers.
- One of the most popular activities in Lower Barrakka Gardens is watching the daily firing of the noon gun. The gun is fired from the Saluting Battery, located at the gardens, and is a tradition that dates back to the 18th century.
- The Saluting Battery is located at the top of the gardens and offers stunning views of the Valletta Grand Harbour. The Battery also houses a number of cannons and other artillery pieces, many of which date back to the 16th century.
- In addition to the Battery, visitors can also explore the gardens’ World War II shelters. These shelters were used by the locals during the war to protect themselves from air raids.
- Lower Barrakka Gardens also offers a number of other attractions, such as the Upper Barrakka Lift, a glass elevator that takes visitors up to the Upper Barrakka terrace. From here, visitors can enjoy panoramic views of Valletta and the Grand Harbour.
- Lower Barrakka Gardens also hosts a number of events throughout the year, such as outdoor concerts and movie screenings.
Lower Barrakka Gardens is a must-see for anyone visiting Malta. With its stunning views of the Grand Harbour, historic monuments, and variety of activities, the gardens are a great place to spend a few hours. Whether you’re interested in exploring the gardens, admiring the views, or watching the daily firing of the noon gun, Lower Barrakka Gardens is a great way to experience the beauty of Malta.